I am so close to launching the Online Exhibit I can almost taste it. As of right now, all of the pages on the site look and behave the way I want them to. I just have a few technical details to work out and some text to polish.
Uploading items to the exhibit is going well. I’m figuring out some pretty cool tricks that I can do with OpenCollection.
I’ve also run ABBY Fine Reader 8 (an OCR program) on many of the articles and other documents and created PDFs (with mostly clean OCR) for many of them which I’m including in the Exhibit.
If all goes well, I plan to launch the Online Exhibit on Tuesday.
I also decided to simplify my cataloging. I realized that it did not make sense to separate letters from paper documents, so I folded them into the paper documents category. I’ve updated my Naming Schema to reflect this.
I have now gotten both OpenCollection and OpenCollectionAccess (a nice front end for OpenCollection) working on the site. I figured out how to add metadata elements, including Dublin Core. I also figured out lots of other things about how to organize stuff in OpenCollection, which I hope will add ease of browse and functionality to the Online Exhibit.
I also started working on changing the look of OpenCollectionAccess to what I want the Online Exhibit to look like, with some help from my friend Jesse. My friend Maggie pointed out that I need to make sure that the Online Exhibit is obviously a different place than the main site. I think that one of the ways to do this (other than my plan for a top nav and a different break in space for the nav) is to make the roll-over color for images different. The idea is that the color will be the roll over color for “Online Exhibit” on the main site and the “Main Site” link on the Online Exhibit will be blue. I’m thinking about going with a green, since so much of OCA already uses a green color and green is a good sno-ball color. So, the final product will probably look something like this (but I think the green will be darker):
I’ve uploaded and catalogued about 20 images so far. I even re-purposed one of the OC fields to link to a Flickr image of the object, and only show up on display if I’ve uploaded the image to Flickr. And I figured out how to make Flickr link back to the Online Exhibit. I’m really excited about this as I hope people will use either Flickr or email to let us know more about the pictures that we know almost nothing about.
As of right now, everything is locked up because I don’t want people seeing an unfinished product. I hope to be able to launch everything in a week to a week and a half.
I finished scanning everything yesterday. I have the exact totals at my finger tips, but I ended up scanning on site 1 cup design, a few letters/short-stories/poems, several business documents (like business cards and gift certificates), about 70 photographs, and 5 articles from magazines or newspapers (one was 12 pages long). I also took a bunch of digital photography for the website and the fun of it. I wasn’t able to take shots for a QTVR panorama because I didn’t have a tripod. But I hope to be able to make one for them at some point in the future (if one doesn’t get made for this project).
I finalized the main website design and am mostly done building the whole thing on a test server. I still need to get content from Ashley.
Also, I mocked up a look for the online exhibit part of the site. I like it and Ashley does too.